Emergencies can happen anywhere, but the chance of you being caught up in one is low. If you are involved in an emergency, the advice below tells you what you can expect to happen.
If you are told to stay indoors
- Keep all doors and windows closed
- Move away from windows
- Turn off air conditioning
- Use your emergency pack, if you have one
- Tune in to local radio stations – they will be helping the police to issue advice
- Make sure a telephone is close by
- Don't go outside until you are told it is safe
- Don't try and collect children from school unless told to - they will be looked after
If you are told to evacuate
The emergency services may instruct you to leave your home and go to a rest centre or temporary accommodation. Remember to take with you any medication, toiletries and sanitary supplies. If you have time, turn off electricity, gas and water supplies, unplug appliances and lock all doors and windows.
Last updated: 16 Aug 2018, 10:20 a.m.