Skip to content Skip to main menu

Look after yourself after an emergency

If you need urgent help

If you've had thoughts of self-harming or are feeling suicidal, contact someone immediately such as a friend, relative or someone you can trust.

If you feel like you're unable to manage your symptoms and feel unsafe, you need to contact your GP or NHS 111 if out of hours. For immediate, life-threatening emergencies, call 999.

Support centres

If you have been affected by an emergency, you may have visited a support centre.  These centres offer assistance depending on how you have been affected and can advise on appropriate support routes for you.

You may also have visited your GP, if you haven’t we would advise you to inform them that you have been affected by this incident, they will then be able to offer appropriate support.

Trauma leaflet

It is important to look after yourself and your family if you have been affected by a major incident.  There are some very normal reactions to trauma so we have developed a leaflet to help you identify normal behaviours to look out for and what to do to support those who have been traumatised following a major incident.  

Further support

There are many organisations that can offer support to you if you have been affected by a major incident - other people who can help now or in the future.  You may not feel that you need help right now, that is fine but if you do in the future you can come back to these pages and look for the support you need.

Last updated: 14 Aug 2019, 8:45 a.m.